Applications for Summer 2018 fellowships are now closed.
Roosevelt is excited to announce the 2018 Summer Fellowship, open to students in the network who are enthusiastic about continuing good policy change through the summer. Roosevelt’s Summer Fellowship is an 8 week stipended opportunity for students to work on their own policy projects in our New York City or remotely. The Fellowship offers students mentoring, policy, and communications support for active policy projects.
Each year one of our summer fellows will be selected to serve as an Isenberg fellow. Taylor Jo Isenberg is a former National Director of the Network who gave ten years of service to the organization as a student and as a staff member. Her commitment to policies and processes that improved democracy made a lasting impact on the organization. To qualify for this fellowship, a student’s project must demonstrate a firm commitment to democratic access and opening up policymaking to new voices.
When is the Fellowship?
The fellowship will run for eight weeks over the summer. It will commence with a one-day orientation on June 4, 2018, and run until July 27, 2018.
Who should apply?
- Any current or prospective Roosevelter with an idea for policy change at the local or state level with a demonstrated investment in their idea
- Students with active organizing/research projects and plan to move their work forward this summer are encouraged to apply
- Graduating seniors are not eligible for the Summer Fellowship position.
Students are encouraged to work locally, in order to maximize the impact of their organizing and research. New York-based projects and non-local students may work out of Roosevelt’s national offices in NYC. Remote fellows will be expected to check in twice a week with a national staff member.
What is the time commitment?
We offer 35 hours per week and 15 hours per week options. You may indicate which option you prefer on your application.
Does the Fellowship offer financial compensation?
- Students working 35-hour fellows per week for 8 weeks will be stipended $3000.
- Students working 15 hours per week for 8 weeks will be stipended $1500.
When do I apply?
Applications for the Summer Fellowship are now closedApplicants should expect to hear back by the 23rd of March.
How do I apply?
The application, asks you to upload a short portfolio presentation answering 4 questions:
- What is the problem in your community that you’re looking to solve? What is your proposed solution?
- What type of Roosevelt resources do you think you will need (fundraising platform, communications expertise, coaching by staff and fellows, etc.)?
- What does success look like for your project by the end of the summer/year?
- What type of work have you put into your project already?
Template portfolio presentation is available here. You may download and fill in the template with your information or build your own powerpoint answering the questions above.
Note: The attached examples do have a slide dedicated to explaining the problem and proposed solution. You are encouraged to build one in your portfolio.
What are the selection criteria?
Selection criteria include the viability of the proposal, evidence of long-term interest, clear plans for the summer, and a clear understanding of Roosevelt’s resources.
People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Reach out to Aman Banerji at firstname.lastname@example.org
Below are examples of past fellows’ work