Roosevelt is excited to announce the 2017 Summer Fellowship, open to students in the network who are enthusiastic about continuing good policy change through the summer. Roosevelt’s Summer Fellowship is an 8 week stipended opportunity for students to work on their own policy projects either in our New York City or Chicago offices or remotely. The Fellowship offers students mentoring, policy, and communications support for active policy projects.
Each year one of our summer fellows will be selected to serve as an Isenberg fellow. Taylor Jo Isenberg is a former National Director of the Network who gave ten years of service to the organization as a student and as a staff member. Her commitment to policies and processes that improved democracy made a lasting impact on the organization. To qualify for this fellowship, a student’s project must demonstrate a firm commitment to democratic access and opening up policymaking to new voices.
When is the Fellowship?
The fellowship will run for eight weeks over the summer. It will commence with a one day orientation on June 5, 2017 and run until July 28, 2017.
Who should apply?
- Any current or prospective Roosevelter with an idea for policy change at the local or state level with a demonstrated investment in their idea
- Students with active organizing/research projects and plan to move their work forward this summer are encouraged to apply
- Graduating seniors are not eligible for the Summer Fellowship position.
Students are encouraged to work locally, in order to maximize the impact of their organizing and research. New York-based projects and non-local students may work out of Roosevelt’s national offices in NYC. Remote fellows will be expected to check in twice a week with a national staff member.
What is the time commitment?
We offer 40 hours per week and 20 hours per week options. You may indicate which option you prefer on your application.
Does the Fellowship offer financial compensation?
- Students working 40 hour fellows per week for 8 weeks will be stipended $3000.
- Students working 20 hours per week for 8 weeks will be stipended $1500.
When do I apply?
Applications open on Feb 10th. Final deadline for all applications is March 9th at 12 PM EST. Applicants should expect to hear back around mid-March.
How do I apply?
Applicants for the 2017 Summer Fellowship class are now closed.
The application, asks you to upload a short portfolio presentation answering 3 questions:
- What type of Roosevelt resources do you think you will need (fundraising platform, communications expertise, coaching by staff and fellows, etc.)?
- What does success look like for your project by the end of the summer/year?
- What type of work have you put into your project already?
Template portfolio presentation is available here.
What are the selection criteria?
Selection criteria include: Viability of proposal, evidence of long term interest, clear plans for the summer, and a clear understanding of Roosevelt’s resources.
People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Reach out to Liz Sisson at email@example.com
Below are examples of past fellows’ work