On their new podcast How to Save a Country, hosts Felicia Wong (Roosevelt Institute) and Michael Tomasky (The New Republic) introduce you to the people and ideas moving America forward in uncertain times. How did we get to this inflection point for our democracy and economy, and how do we move ahead? How do we protect democracy from its attackers? How do we change the fundamentals of our economy so jobs pay more and wealth is shared? How do we forge a path to a high-care, low-carbon future?
How to Save a Country answers these questions by connecting dots across economics, law, and politics—and shows that there IS a way forward for our democracy.
New episodes of the podcast release every Thursday. Presented by the Roosevelt Institute, The New Republic, and PRX. Generous funding for this podcast was provided by the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation and Omidyar Network. Views expressed in this podcast do not necessarily reflect the opinions and beliefs of its funders.
- Episode 1: Why the Biden Economy Is Better Than You Think (with Brian Deese)
- Episode 2: Our Democracy Is in Trouble, but We’ve Been Here Before (with Heather Cox Richardson)
- Episode 3: Guest Dorian Warren (Releasing on October 6)
- Episode 4: Guest Amy Kapczynski (Releasing on October 13)
- Episode 5: Guest Deepak Bhargava (Releasing on October 20)
- Episode 6: Guest TBD (Releasing on October 27)
- Episode 7: Guest TBD (Releasing on November 3)
- Episode 8: Guest TBD (Releasing on November 10)
- Episode 9: Guest TBD (Releasing on November 17)
- Episode 10: Guest TBD (Releasing on December 1)
- Episode 11: Guest TBD (Releasing on December 8)
HOW TO SAVE A COUNTRY TRAILER
Felicia WongPresident & CEO, Roosevelt Institute
Felicia Wong is the President and CEO of the Roosevelt Institute, whose mission is to advance progressive policies in pursuit of a high-care, low-carbon economy that works for all. She served on the Biden-Harris administration transition advisory board and was the US representative on the G7 Economic Resilience Panel in 2021.
Michael TomaskyEditor, The New Republic
Michael Tomasky is a longtime liberal writer, commentator, and editor of the New Republic and Democracy: A Journal of Ideas. He is the author of six books, most recently The Middle Out: The Rise of Progressive Economics and a Return to Shared Prosperity.
NEXT WEEK: Michael and Felicia will talk with Dorian Warren—president of Community Change, co-chair of the Economic Security Project, and co-host of System Check—about why unionization is so important to the broader progressive project.